Today I had my glucose test. I had been dreading this test since they sent me home with the little bottle of orange soda last month. I really worried about being diagnosed with gestational diabetes. I have a family history of it, plus I had gained double what I normally do in a month. (7.5 pounds this month!) But I ate my breakfast (of eggs instead of cereal like my OB nurse suggested) and chugged my little soda right before I left. It wasn't nearly as bad as I remember the test being when I took it in high school. The drink was sugary, but it tasted just like HiC, so it wasn't gag inducing. I got a 139 on blood sugar, which is just one point from having to take the three hour glucose test. They aren't going to give me the three hour test, but since I gained so much weight with no major changes in diet or exercise, they are going to keep an eye out.
I also got my flu shot today, and will be getting the Swine Flu one when it comes out in a few weeks. I was apprehensive about getting the swine flu one, but the OB assured me that the ingredients were the same as the normal flu, it just has the inactive swine flu instead. She also told me that the risk of being put in the hospital, or worse, are really high with the flu this year for pregnant women, and since I have to occasionally go to campus still, I really needed to protect myself. She also recommended T get both shots, so that when the little girl gets here, the chances are greatly reduced for her being exposed to any flu. We are normally very lucky in not getting colds, but after the one we both had last week, we realized it is a whole new game when it comes to children being around. I am just glad that we live in a day and age where flu shots and modern medicine can prevent or heal such things.
Wednesday, September 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment