Friday, February 02, 2007

Amazing research finds


I am back to researching through microfilm, which means lots of funny ads from the olden days. This time I found an ad for something that must be simply salt, but they say it is concentrated and that will make you thin (by removing water and bloating.) The ad focused on three captions. The first showed a fat woman with her super skinny friend, and she was complaining about being overweight. The friend tells her about this great product, yada yada yada. (A few weeks later...) Lastly you see this absolutely toothpick of a woman with her spouse/boyfriend who is praising her to the moon for being so slim and attractive and how it saved their relationship. One of the captions underneath said, " Unsightly fat melts away - the charm only a the slender person has, returns."
While I was reading this I was thinking, "Gee people were so gullible back then." And then it dawned on me that we aren't any better off today. Look at all the stupid supplements, diet pills, herbal junk that will fix "everything." Missing a limb, take some root of gahugafluga. Have erectile dysfunction, take what ever the Smiley Dude takes. (Or at least that is what I think they are trying to imply.) They aren't FDA approved, but they must work cause that guy Kevin Trudeau says so. (I had to look his name up just to get it right.)
Ah, humanity. Will you ever learn? Advertisers don't care about you. They just want your money.

7 comments:

Marsie Pants said...

Actually, the ED stuff the smiley guy takes is very much FDA approved. And, according to doctors, it actually works, as opposed to the miracle herbals. Now magnets, THOSE are the wave of the future! They magnate the cancer right out of you.

Mr. T said...

I thought the smiley guy stuff was herbal and the company was fined/sued by the FDA for being, y'know, bogus?

Or was that someone else?

Marsie Pants said...

I thought what the smiley guy sold was legit, but I could be wrong.

Mr. T said...

I admit I'm not up-to-date on all the boner medicine out there.

Mr. T said...

Looky here.

Looks like the stuff is about as potent as Head-On. Here's another article, this one about them getting sued:

Sued!

Jookylover said...

Viagra works, works on ducks too. Enzyte, does not work.

Adam Bevan said...

I see you guys have found one of my favorite sites: quackwatch.org. I couldn't be more pleased! One of my career goals is to teach a class on debunking "Pop" science. Bring it on, Trudeau, Enzyte, and PentaWater pushers.