Wednesday, February 21, 2007

I Feel Like Bart Simpson Without His Soul

I am rowing with only one paddle.
I was cruising through this project. I was making contacts, getting promised info, etc for the last several weeks and then suddenly nothing. Not one person has sent me what they promised and now emails are not being returned. I have also had a couple of cancelled appointments that potentially would have been helpful to my project. Only two of the newspapers have run the ad/article that they promised, and they are the two smallest here in Columbia. I have two months to complete this project as so far I have lots of ideas and concepts, and nothing concrete other than a historical framework and an "idea" of what the balcony and main theater looked like. No idea what the original ticket booth or lobby looked like. I can't even get a straight answer on whether African-Americans were allowed into the balcony area or not. Both of the previous histories done on the theater (or theaters in the area) didn't list their sources and after contacting the authors I was told that neither bothered to EVER make one. Bad historians! (And English professor!) They should know better.
Very frustrating. It also doesn't help that the owners keep going into the theater and tearing stuff done at their fancy without calling me to document it. (Plus I think they are doing some damage while doing it without the proper tools.)
I did, however, get into the main theater for a good look around for the first time. There is lots of original material still there it appears. I just need to get into the basement to see if the marquee is down there. (That is the neighborhood rumor.) I also spoke with the current tenants and managed to create a professional relationship, which was mine and the owners hardest battle to getting into the main theater. So at least I have access to the entire building (except the basement which is blocked by stuff in storage.)

1 comment:

Mr. T said...

Bart, it's time to end this dream.
And don't forget the standard scream.