Friday, December 11, 2009

40 Weeks

I didn't think we would get to this point, but here I am, still pregnant and waiting. We went to the doctor yesterday and not much progress has been made (still 2 plus centimeters, fully effaced, and now at -1 station.) The doctor said that maybe with the pressure change and moon waning this weekend I would go, but honestly I have just resigned myself to the fact that she isn't coming out till Tuesday.

This has taught me an important lesson about not creating lofty hopes of idealized situations. Since this pregnancy has been so easy going and textbook, I had hoped for the stereotypical birth story of my water breaking (hopefully while I am at home), T and I going to the hospital after timing contractions, and delivering at her pace. Unless the baby decides to do that over the weekend, my dream birth plan isn't going to happen. Now I am just trying to focus on how I want the induction to go and change my birth plan accordingly.

The doctors said they would try breaking my water first since I was already favorable, and that makes me feel more comfortable about the situation. I really want to avoid taking protocin if at all possible. I am hoping to get a walking epidural so I can still walk around, which I have been doing a lot trying to get the contractions to come stronger. I just want a little pain relief to take the edge off, and if allowed, would like to have control over how much I receive. (They say they can give you the button depending on your situation.) I don't often need pain meds, even after oral surgery, and I already had the kidney stones with nothing stronger than OTC Tylenol. I think mobility for as long as possible will be more comforting and helpful than sitting in bed numbed.

The good news at yesterdays appointment was they said she is almost completely turned with her back facing outward, so she won't be sunny side up! Also, they think she is still hovering right around 7 pounds so she won't be a huge baby, for which I am thankful. (Hopefully no episiotomy will be necessary.) I also lost a pound for the first time in months, which was most assuredly water as I have noticed some improvement in my swelling. I guess it does help that I have been drinking close to 12 glasses of fluids a day.

Here's hoping that the next entry will be a delivery story!

No comments: